Monday, January 13, 2014

Northerns Batsman, Revaldo Moonsamy, scores runs in difficult batting conditions at the Coca-Cola Khaya Majola Cricket Week




The sun came out in Durban today and all eight of the 50 overs Coca-Cola Khaya Majola Cricket week games started on time. The boys were all rearing to get going after all yesterday’s T20 games were called off after rain set in. 

Northerns wicketkeeper batsman, Revaldo Moonsamy, has found the conditions tough, but that hasn’t stopped him from notching up two useful scores – 40 against Free State on the first day, and 56 against Western Province on day 2.

This is his first Coca-Cola Khaya Majola Cricket Week, but he did play in the national under-17 week last year and made 162 runs.

“The pitches in Durban are not conducive to getting in and scoring freely,” he says. “The wickets that I have played on so far have forced you to concentrate throughout your innings and you never feel confident.”

He says he is proud of his performance on day 2 because he was forced to play a holding innings against a very strong Western Province bowling line up, while the wickets fell all round him. “I was the 6th wicket to fall even though I came in at 3,” he says. “I enjoy batting under pressure and I think that I play better under pressure.”

He is pleased that he has made a good start to the tournament and is one of the top run scorers so far. “I hope today will be as good and I will remain as one of the top run scorers at the end of the tournament. I hope the rain will not spoil too many of the games again. I love cricket and would like to spend as much time out on the field as possible.”

Revaldo admits to being a huge AB de Villiers fan.” I like the way he bats, his confidence and the way he behaves off the field.”

He admits to his sadness at missing out on the T20 games yesterday, specially playing against neighbours, Easterns. “I don’t know much about the team since my school, St Albans, does not play against any of the schools in the area, but I have heard of a couple of players in their team, like the big-hitting Jurie Snyman.  South Africa is running behind in the T20 format on an international level and at a youth level we need to get in more practise, but you cannot control the weather.”

His brother, Ricardo Moonsamy, has played for the Northerns A senior side and Rivaldo would like to do better and play for the Titans one day.

There is a clipping of his interview at the link below.




No comments:

Post a Comment