Thursday, August 2, 2012

CAPTAIN TELLS OF ROAD TO THE DANONE NATIONS CUP WORLD FOOTBALL FINAL



It was a dream that almost did not come true for young Mthunzi Dlamini, who will captain the Sinamuva under-12 football team in Poland in September when they compete in the Danone Nations Cup World Finals.

“At 8 years old my class teacher, Mr Khoane Khonza, asked me to join Tastic FC, a local amateur football club in Imbali Township near Pietermaritzburg which he had just started.  I had never played the game before so my first day was terrible.  I didn’t understand the game and was embarrassed in front of the other players so a couple of days later I quit,” said Dlamini.

But what Khonza saw that day was enough for him to realise that this youngster had ball skills that could result in him being a fine footballer.  “Fortunately Mr Khonza didn’t give up on me and two months later he started a school football team and asked me to join as a goalkeeper, which I did and have never looked back.  I am now 11 years old and a midfielder and captain.  I am also able to play with both feet and am good at crosses. ” 

Dlamini has lived with his aunt, Sibongile Shelembe, and cousin since 6 years old.  His dream is to be a pilot one day so for him the plane trip to Poland is as important to him as the football.  “My aunt has sacrificed a lot for me and I know that education is important to her so this is my focus at the moment. My class teacher, Mrs Thabisile Gabuza is my role model and she monitors my school work to make sure that I don’t fall behind.”

Coach Khonza is the youngster’s motivator.  “He always tells us to dream big and that there is more to life and we must embrace opportunities that come our way and in this case it is the Danone Nations Cup experience.”

Sinamuva Public Primary School attended a training session by ex Bafana Bafana and Kaizer Chiefs captain and Danone Nations Cup South Africa ambassador, Neil Tovey. 

The Danone Nations Cup World Final is the biggest football tournament for children between the ages of 10 and 12 in the world.  Since its inception in 2000 it has touched the lives of over 25 million people with the aim of bringing health through food and sport to millions of kids throughout the world. >From just 8 participating countries the tournament has grown to now accommodate 40.

South Africa is the only country to have won the tournament three times:  2003, 2007 and 2009. 

“Danone has built the tournament on four fundamental pillars:  fair play, openness, accessibility and passion for the game,” said Sandra Dorville, Communications Manager, Danone Southern Africa.  “Through the Danone Nations Cup we promote healthy habits and encourage the youth to believe in their dreams.” 







No comments:

Post a Comment