Wednesday, April 25, 2012

FREE STATE SCHOOLS COMPETE FOR A CHANCE TO PLAY FOOTBALL IN POLAND




On 5th May six primary schools in the Free State will battle it out for the one spot to represent the Province in the Danone Nations Cup National Finals.  The ultimate winner will represent South Africa in the football 13th Danone Nations Cup World Finals in Poland later in the year.



The Clive Solomon Stadium will be the venue where the six competing teams will converge.  Botle-Ba-Thuto Primary School from Xhariep district will compete in the Free State Provincial finals for the first time.  The team got there after beating Mofulatshepe Primary School 9-1 in the district finals.



”I’m so happy we won and I hope I will continue scoring goals in the Provincial finals,” said Botle-Ba-Thuto striker, Bokang Moneri, who scored 4 of the 9 goals.



The Harasebei township based school has been training 2 hours a day which coach, Mr Mareko, believes is the reason the team did well:  “Our hard work paid off.  I am so proud of my boys.  We are at a disadvantage in that we do not have the necessary equipment and facilities to prepare properly so my strategy was to just focus on team work.  Getting to the Provincial finals in our first attempt at this prestigious tournament is a dream come true,” said Mareko.



Botle-Ba-Thuto Primary will have stiff competition from the likes of Lehakwe Primary School from Lejwelepupswa district, a team that is just as determined to get to the National finals.  Players to look out for include goalkeeper Kamohelo Koporoka, who is well known for his brilliant saves and great ball distribution, defender Mpho Khatlako and midfielders Kamohelo Gabelo and Lebohang Nhlakobe.



“South African football is short of goalkeepers and I believe with the experience that I am getting by playing in the Danone Nations Cup will teach me good habits while I am young which will help me as I progress through the different age groups and one day I hope to play professionally,” said Koporoka.



Fateng Sa Thuto Primary school from Thabo Mofutsanyana district will also participate in the Provincials together with a school from Fezile Dabi district and two schools from the host Region, Mangaung Metro district.



The Free State winner will join Chakaza Primary School (Mpumalanga), Sinamuva Primary School (KwaZulu-Natal), Atamela Primary School (North West) and Kgwahlele Primary School (Limpopo) all of which have already qualified for the National Finals taking place at Central Grounds, Mamelodi, Gauteng on 23 June.

No comments:

Post a Comment