Sunday, January 12, 2020

Oberholzer's Hat-trick Highlight of Day 3 of the Khaya Majola Week


There have been a number of good performances over the first three days of the 2019/20 Khaya Majola Week and day three’s T20 double-headers served up quite a few of them.

There were 11 50s and 4 four-wicket hauls on the day, but the performance that really stood out was Christiaan Oberholzer’s 5/22 against Limpopo. Not only did he take more wickets than anyone else in one innings during the day but he also took the first hat-trick of the tournament in the process of achieving that feat.

Christian was delighted with his bowling performance. ‘The hat-trick came in the 8th over. We had a decent total and I decided that I wanted to attack so I asked my captain to bring the field in and let me see if I can get a wicket or two.’

‘My captain backed me and allowed me to place my own field. It took me two balls to take the first wicket, the two batsmen had crossed and with the next ball I took the other set batsman, which applied pressure on the new batsman coming in. The next ball snuck under the bat and hit the batsman’s pad and he was given out LBW.’

Christian is only 17 and this is his first Khaya Majola Week so he did not come with too many personal expectations. His main objective was to enjoy the week and to learn as much as possible from the other players in his team and from his coach. He hopes that he will play again in the week next year.

He struggled a little in the first two games that he played but he thinks that his performance with bat and ball on the third day might be the turning point in his week and he will be able to do far better in the rest of the week.

‘Being an all-rounder gives me an opportunity to do well with both bat and ball. After I took 5 wickets and the hat-trick my confidence was up and I managed make a good score to help my team beat Limpopo by 9 wickets,’ said Christian.


No comments:

Post a Comment