Saturday, February 23, 2013

HOËRSKOOL WATERKLOOF IN THE COCA-COLA T20 SCHOOLS CHALLENGE FINAL!

Hoërskool Waterkloof, representing the Titans franchise, booked their spot for Sunday’s final at the Coca-Cola Schools T20 Challenge by beating Knights representatives, St Andrew’s of Bloemfontein, by nine wickets on Saturday morning.

They earned a bonus point in the process, their second of the tournament, which means they now have six points and cannot be passed in the Inland group of the competition.

The Coastal section is still open, with Rondebosch (Cobras) and Westville Boys’ High (Dolphins) still in the running.

Rondebosch beat Lions representatives, St Stithians, on Saturday morning, while Westville beat Framesby (Warriors) by 58 runs. That win gave Westville a bonus point, while Rondebosch earned an extra point when they beat Westville comfortably in their first outing.

So, the two schools are level pegging going into Saturday’s second games and should they earn equal points there, Rondebosch will go through by virtue of winning the game between the two.

St Stithians made a bright start against Rondebosch, getting to 71 before they lost their first wicket. Ryan Rickleton was again in devastating form, smashing 56 off 31 balls. Saints lost their way after he was run out, however, and they could only get to 152/7 in their 20 overs.

It was never going to be enough and Rondebosch reached the target with four balls to spare. Hayes Van der Berg was 68 not out, which earned him the man of the match award, and Matt Christensen was 64 not out in the end.

Van der Berg said afterwards that the tournament has been a great opportunity for him and his team mates to showcase their talents.

“I hope my school gets to the final as we want to get the title of the best school in the country,” he said. “I also want to get to the final so that we can play in front of millions of people as the game will be televised.”

Van der Berg says the game against St Stithians was extremely close. “We got to the target with one wicket standing and three balls to go so it was a bit tight.”

His goal is to get into the Coca-Cola South African under-19 team and play in the World Cup in 2014.Before that, he has to pass matric “I want to take a gap year and play overseas and then come back and start studying sports psychology or physiotherapy,” he said.

Westville posted 160/7 in their 20 overs, with Louis Snyman top-scoring with 39. They then bowled Framesby out in the final over for 102. Framesby’s Ernst Stapelberg was named the man of the match for his 29 runs and 2/15 with the ball.

Waterkloof, the 2011 champions in the Coca-Cola Schools T20, are looking like a good bet to become the first school to win it twice. They demolished St Andrew’s in Saturday’s early round of games. St Andrew’s were 103/9 in their 20 overs, with Waterkloof’s Henco Vorstman taking his second four wicket week of the weekend – 4/20 – to earn the man of the match award.

Waterkloof had little trouble in reaching the target with just one wikcet down and 43 balls to spare. Janneman Malan (49 not out) and Michael Strauss (43 not out), were still there in the end.

Vorstman gave the credit for his bowling achievements to his team mates. “I would not have been able to have performed for the two days in a row without them,” he said.

“The wind came up a bit on Friday morning and I am not used to playing in the wind so, while it cooled us down, it made my game difficult.

“We didn’t do well against Westville yesterday, but that is the way the game goes and today we are definitely playing better. This tournament is giving us a lot of exposure which is fantastic for us. There is no easy game as all teams are good.

“What also helped us is the fantastic support we have got from the teachers and parents that came all the way to Stellenbosch to follow up. We are going to stick to the game plan in our final pool game against St Stithians this afternoon.

Scores

St Stithians 152/7 (Ellis-Cole 28, Rickleton 56, Ackerman 25, Campher 21; Stevens 3/28). Rondebosch 154/1(Christensen 64 not out, Van der Berg 68 not out). Rondebosch won by nine wickets.

Westville 160/7 (Kerr 25, Whitelaw 29, Schlemmer 21, Snyman 39; Du Preez 2/26, Stapelberg 2/15). Framesby 102/10 (Stapelberg 29; Smit 2/19, Rugbar 2/29, Goedon 2/23). Westville won by 58 runs.

St Andrew’s 103/9 (Du Plessis 25, Vorstman 4/20, Ludick 2/9, Grobbelaar 2/15). Waterkloof 105/1 (Malan 49 not out, Strauss 43 not out). Waterkloof won by nine wickets.

Saturday afternoon matches – Waterkloof v St Stithians, Rondebosch v Framesby, Westville v St Andrew’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment