Tuesday, June 18, 2013

MMANTUNTUBE HIGH SCHOOL WINS THE WATERBERG CLUSTER AT THE SANLAM KAY MOTSEPE SCHOOLS CUP


Mmantuntube High School won Limpopo province’s Waterberg regional final in the Sanlam Kay Motsepe Schools Cup competition and will be playing in the provincial finals next month.

Team coach Mashaba Phineas Mokoena says making the provincial finals is a dream come true for the boys and they are already talking about winning the provincials and going to the nationals later in the year. “We would like to win some of the R3.4 million on offer as prize money and be able to say we were responsible for helping to upgrade our school, which it badly needs.” 

Mmantuntube have been playing in the competition for a number of years now, but this is the first time that they have gone beyond the cluster level. “We are hoping to continue our winning streak until we are declared the winners of the Sanlam Kay Motsepe Schools Cup,” Mokoena said.

Mokoena says they will be increasing the number of practise sessions now. “I always tell the boys that practise makes perfect and that we need to practise more and more to ensure that we are 10 times better than our opponents,” he said.” I also try to instil in them that without discipline they can never achieve anything in life.”

Mokoena singles out defender Thabang Monethi as a player that really puts his heart into the team. Thabang grew up watching soccer and he started playing the game in primary school at the age of 7 years. “I have grown to love the sport and it has groomed me into the young adult that I am,” he said. “Without it I don’t know where I would be.”

He is a fan of both the UEFA Champions League and the PSL league and would love to play for Orlando Pirates. “I’m hoping to get into their development programme then make my way to the top,” he said.


Thabang acknowledges the role that his parents have played in his development. “They support my love and passion for the sport, and really try to make it to watch my matches when they have time.”



No comments:

Post a Comment