Saturday, February 23, 2013

NATIONAL FINALS OF THE COCA-COLA T20 SCHOOLS CHALLENGE STARTS IN STELLENBOSCH

The Coca-Cola T20 Schools Challenge national finals got under way at Stellenbosch on Friday morning with wins for the representatives of the Titans (Waterkloof) over the Warriors representatives, Framesby, the Lions (St Stithians), over the Knights representatives, St Andrew’s of Bloemfontien and the Cobras (Rondebosch) over Dolphins champions, Westville Boys’ High.
The six schools in Stellenbosch this weekend have come through to the national finals weekend by virtue of winning their provincial Coca-Cola T20 knockout competitions, in the first instance, and then beating the other provincial champions in each of their franchises.
St Stithians scraped home by one wicket in a low-scoring thriller against St Andrew’s. St Andrew’s were put in and bowled out for 75, thanks to a great opening spell by man of the match Luke Stanger, who took 4/26 in his four overs.
St Stithians then made heavy weather of chasing the small total. They eventually got it with three balls to spare, and only one wicket still standing.
The Joburg batsmen had no answer for the guile of the St Andrew’s spin bowlers. Sine Ntshona was outstanding. The resultant pressure on the batsmen led to three run outs and only Angus Ellis-Cole (16) made any impact with the bat.
Stanger said afterwards that he was happy to take the 4 quick wickets. “I opened the bowling and we were able to get them out quickly,” he said.
“It appeared to be an easy target to get, and that is where I think we went wrong, we were too confident and went in to bat thinking we had it in the bag.
“I went into bat at the end and ended on 7 not out. I am happy with this as I scored more than some that are higher in the batting order. I did have to control myself though. They were bowling nice and full and it was tempting to hit out.”
It was a lot easier for Rondebosch, who beat Westville by 58 runs. The Cape Town side got 144/4 in their 20 overs, with Matthew Christensen 73 not out and Muzammi Sheik 28 not out.
They then bowled out Westville for 86. Nicholas Pentz top-scored on 26. The bowlers shared the wickets between them with four getting two each.
Waterkloof made the biggest score of the day – 153/2 – against Framesby. Janneman Malan was 81 not out at the end and Danie Rossouw 40 not out.
They then had Framesby 108/7 at the end of their 20 overs. Theo Stapelberg made 44 for Framesby and Waterkloof’s Henco Vorstman took 4/26 in his four overs.
Scores
Rondebosch 144/4 (Anderson 73 not out, Hamza 24, Sheik 28 not out; Rugbar 2/21). Westville 86 (Kerr 21, Pentz 26; Galiem 2/16, Petersen 2/23, Stevens 2/11, Klein 2/11). Rondebosch won by 58 runs.
St Andrew’s 75 (Pienaar 17; Stanger 4/22, Landsberg 2/6). St Stithians 76/9 (Ellis-Cole 16; Heilbron 2/12, Whitehead 2/13, Ntshona 2/16). St Stithians won by one wicket.
Waterkloof 153/2 (Malan 81 not out, Rossouw 40 not out; Stapelberg 1/14). Framesby 108/7 (Stapelberg 44; Vorstman 4/26). Waterkloof won by 45 runs.
Friday afternoon’s games: Waterkloof v Westville, St Stithians v Framesby, Rondebosch v St Andrew’s.

Alexander Whitelaw from Westville during day 1 of the Coca-Cola Schools T20

Theo Stapelberg during day 1 of the Coca-Cola Schools T20 Challenge finals

Johannes Malan from Waterkloof during day 1 of the Coca-Cola Schools
Jason Oakes Westville during day 1 of the Coca-Cola Schools T20 Challenge finals

Kagiso Rabada from St Stithians during day 1 of the Coca-Cola Schools T20 Challenge

Tiaan Potgieter from Framesby batting and Ryan Rickleton keeping during day 1 of the Coca-Cola Schools T20 Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment